Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Collission of fates
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Graham Drake, The Preacher in Black, a man of macabre reputation in circles both natural and of the darker sort. He was frequently seen at the church. Not as a worshiper but on matters of bussiness. He had an allies here. It was home base, the return point, sactuary.

The heavy wooden doorway opened slightly as Drake pushed his way in, ignoring the fractures in his wrist. He hadn't tarried long enough to even have his wounds healed before departing to the guild to file his report.

Father Gerhardt sat on one of the pews next to a young woman whom he could see only from behind. She stood up and turned about upon sensing Drake's entry.

Gerhardt didn't speak realizing Drake was uncharacteristicly dropjawed and possibly blushing.

"C......Carrie." He said at a loss for words. "Word Conquerer" The old god ahd called him. Now he had no words at all.

The woman's expression was grim. This was not as happy a time as she'd hoped her reunion would be. "It's been five years, Graham Drake. Have you gone mute in those years." She said coaxing Drake to speak.

Drake shook his head, tossing about locks of chessnut hair that had gone a bit too long even for him. Composing himself Drake noticed Carrie's lack of enthusiasm, and so did away with the pleasantries.

"You said you hated this place and wanted to put as much distance between you and it as you could. So why are you now here again?" Drake asked.

"Do you think I wouldn't notice? Just like five years ago. Even if you're not the strongest you have to put everything on yourself. This dark aura is attracting everyone from warriors, to sages, to vagabonds seeking their fortune.

They're trying to bring Dracula back. And you no doubt are trying to stop it." Carrie explained.

"I see.....Then you are determined to join in this damned battle." Drake said grimly.

"Look at you. You need all the help you can get. Your body is broken....and your eyes...." She said looking into Drake's azure eyes.

"That's right. The visions have worsened....or better to say, my power has increased." Drake replied.

Carrie shook her head.
"That's not what I mean. Your spirit, it's darker now. ....Have you...?"

"No" Drake interupted. "I'd never sink so low as to sell out to the very evil I am fighting against. I've merely modified one of my runes into something more powerful." He continued.

She shook her head again, hanging it lower this time, but Carrie offered no answer to that.

"I take it you still have the letter I left you." Drake asked, changing the subject.

"I do. As per your instructions I have not opened it. But why? What could be so desperate that you'd have to die or lose your soul first?" Carrie asked.

"It is merely a speculation. You should not gauge your judgement on that alone. Rather if the situation is beyond all desperation. Then open it. I hope I would be dead when you do.....because once you read what's in that letter you will hate me." Drake explained.

"I would rather not then. You are a good and kind frined Graham. I can't imagine what evil you've committed as to hide it away as such." Carrie answered still hanging her head low.

"Trust me until then." Drake said, then abruptly changed subjects again.

"But it is good to see you, even if under such sad circumstances. No doubt Father Gerhardt has already explained the situation, with the girl residing in the room below." Said Drake.

"He has. I've been speaking with her when she's feeling well enough to rise. I've taught her a bit of magic as well. She has a tallent for it. I wonder if she'll be as strong in a few years as I was back then." Carrie replied.

"Not if her life is cut short." Drake said grimly.

"Then you'd really kill her if she turned?" Carrie asked.

"I hope to avoid that situation. But.....she made me promise." Was Drake's reluctant answer.

Drake sighed and sat down.

===============================
Character Name: Pious Augustine Hadrian "The Younger Hadrian"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Drake's head was held low resting on his palms, as his elbows rested on his knees. He was exhausted, and his wounds not fully healed. Father Gerhardt had given him a healing spell but it took a good night's rest to work. Drake had been neglecting sleep, as he pushed himself ever harder.

"I hope not to, I pray that even if God should know no mercy for myself that he is not so bitter in his old age to deny it to that child." Drake said.

Carrie had shown bitterness toward the allmighty herself at one time and didn't bother to correct Drake's blasphemy.

"It is what we do that will change our fates. You know as well as I what must be done before she is driven to drink human blood." Said Carrie as she placed a slender hand upon Drake's tired and heavy shoulder.

"Aye. It's no easy task. Hunt down the vampire who laid his fangs into her. Strike him through the heart, lop off his head, stuff his mouth with garlic, burn the corpse, purify the ashes in holy water then give it to the child to drink. Do that and she will be cured." Drake said in recitation of the basic rules of vampire hunting.

"You've hunted them before you started going after demons. Your skill in slaying vampires is nothing to be scoffed at. Why then, not get to it, rather than these side trips?" Asked Carrie.

Drake gave the answer Carrie was fearing most. "Elder Vampire." he said simply. Carrie knew enough about vampires to know everything from those two words. Drake needn't give any further explanation.

Elder Vampires were something few could dream of confronting. She'd fought one and barely claimed a victory and that was with the help of Reinhardt Shneider, the inheritor of the Belmont legacy.

It was not a fight anyone could win alone. They were just too powerful. Faster than humans, obscenely strong, near unkillable, possessing dark magic, and the ability to metamorphose into any number of things both natural and unnatural. The desperation of Drake's situation was now most obvious.

"I have only so much time to increase my power. A new rune, a new sigil, possibly another alliance made. That's what I've gained but it's not enough to prevail. I must somehow surpass an elder vampire in power. Or God forbid ask you to open that cursed letter and unleash something which can ten times over. God forbid." Drake crossed himself as he spoke. Whatever he had written five years ago, even he feared it.

"Father Gerhardt tells me you're seeking the forbidden magic." Carrie
said grimly. What she implied was more significant though. She meant to ask if what was in the envelope was so dreadful that hunting down
and using the legendary forbidden magic would be the lesser of two evils by comparison.

"I am. Though I do not fear it. Why should a power be forbidden? It is said to be the most powerful of all craft, and had to be hidden away for fear of its power. We have all heard whispers of it. But again, why forbid it? I know why. There are many paths in the ways of witchcraft. Some may even be capable of saving or damning the whole of the world. Then what if a mere power hungry fool should gain the forbidden power? He would destroy himself and everything he held dear in his own blind ambition. I am no such fool. My thoughts are in order, my choices based on careful calculation. I will not misuse this magic, nor allow it to fall into the wrong hands. I will be neither fool nor tyrant. I will be a guardian ever vigilant, whim will wield this power ever carefully, to reach a nobler end." Drake explained at length.

"Many such tyrants said the same." Carrie quipped.

"Aye they did. And some met an end deserving a tyrant. But others still have done as they proclaimed and made their kingdoms better. However I am no king, nor noble, nor general. I will do what I must alone and drag no innocent soul into my struggle. If I sin then let me repent it before I am lost, or let me damned and the horror I unleash, disappear along with me. But I alone shall carry the burden. I am not like that monster whom dragged an innocent child into our struggle, and laughed as he drank her blood and tainted her innocence. If I can at least drag him into Hell with me, then it would all be worth it." Drake replied.

"Enough of this talk of damnation. Even if the church cast you out, you are not beyond redemption. I wouldn't call you a friend if I didn't know the good in you outweighed the wicked." Carrie emotionally retorted.

Drake nodded. "Thank you Carrie. Your words are kind and soothing. I will take them to heart. But my goals remain unchanged. I will do what must be done. No less..." Drake was cut off at the end by Carrie "...and no more." She said completing the statement. "Aye....a good thing to remember." Drake answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Drake stood and walked toward the stairs. "A moment alone please. Only a moment. There is something I must do." He said as he descended.

Deep beneath the church he entered a room where a small child lay sleeping. Flowers had been lain around her. Her pale color made her look almost dead. Yet the quiet, yet not totally silent sound of her breath in this dark room indicated that she was alive, or at least partially. Somewhere between the world of man and the world of the damned.

"Fiona...." Said Drake skaking his head. "You've worsened since the last time. Is this all that could be done? To put you into perpetual slumber? The last bastion against a foul metamorphosis. Damnation to that vampire. Damnation to your fate, and damnation to me for allowing it." He lamented.

"You were such a beautiful child. Where are those bright eyes, rosy cheeks, hair of sunshine? Where are they now? Gone...gone. Because of my failure. Because I wasted too much time, plotting, planning. More caring for my own would be glory in striking down a count than in saving your precious life. I am as foul and wretched a creature as that blasted count for that."

Drake grew closer leaning over the makeshift stone bed on which she laid. Made from a stone altar it may be functioning as a bed for now but it looked much as if it were her own place within a mausoleum which this room far too resembled. Leaning over her face and placing a finger against her pale, barely pinkish lips he felt so little warmth in her. It was very faint now.

"Like the last candle in a black night, your human life is fading. How much longer do you have? How much longer until the last hope fades? How long do I have to gain power enough to slay that vampire and bring you his ashes? It should take me decades but I have but....a month at this rate? A week? only days? You look as if you are frozen in time Fiona. Yet its bitter progression wreaks havoc on your soul. As you sleep peacefully, what torture must you be experiencing inside?"

Drake slumped down beating a fist against the floor.

"How....how can I do this? What Faustian deals must I make? What blasphemous bargain? If in fighting monsters I must become a monster myself, do these ends justify that foul means?"

Drake went silent for a moment. A man who never dared show a moment of weakness. Whom a day ago stared a devil in the eye and with no lack of boast stated matter of fact that he would kill it. Now let his tears drop to the cold stone floor.

"Look at me. Blubbering like a woman, over one little girl I could not save. Has my wrath been so blunted?" Said Drake forming a fist tightly.

"Am I to but wallow in my pity of self, when here in front of me a child rages a fiercer battle within herself than I have ever seen? No.....If I must throw myself into the abyss to save the world...no...HER the same fate, then I shall. If the very devil himself I must become then so let it be!"

Drake stood and spread his arms wide as if to embrace this fate. "Do you hear me vampire? You are wicked, but I am more wicked than you. God almighty, grant me this. Grant me vengeance or to Hell with you. Bless my righteous yet blasphemous fury or damn me, I care not. All for this! All for her! I must not, can not, shall not relent in this pursuit! I am the preacher in black. My name is Graham Drake, and I am the line that stands between hope and despair. I stand here a man!

Henceforth, Let my thoughts be bloody, or let them be nothing worth!

(SCENE)

The Sun was setting. A black clad figure roamed the streets heading for the hunter's guild. Graham Drake, the Preacher in Black had returned.