Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ORP: Time-out
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:44 am 
Site Admin

"Help! Someone HELP!" Grace was yelling from the cab of the carriage. The driver stared anxiously as the young woman tried to drag her unconscious companion up the stairs of the church. He might have tried to help, if not for the large fox that had suddenly appeared in his coach. He didn't remember that getting in.

================================

Kyrad stared at the world around him. It was serene, peaceful, and full of beautiful green life. And it was wrong.

He'd expected to wake up in the carriage. Their adventure in the future was at an end, and Ramona had supposedly made it out safe. He estimated they'd be close to town, and he was planning on heading to the church to find her. They had a lot to talk about, a lot to not talk about, and a few things to do that involved no talking at all. Instead, he was here, sitting in the dew-soaked grass, alone.

Willowisp, Tier, Merro he signed.

Nothing happened. If this was real, he'd have teleported forward. If it was still a dream, his body would have moved instead, jarring him awake. But nothing? He wasn't sure what to make of that. If he'd signed incorrectly, any number of awful things would have been expected, but invoking magic and seeing no effect? That was for people without magic...or the dead.

He pinched himself. It hurt. He wasn't sure if that was a good sign; the souls of the dead were still subject to pain, as far as he knew. At least he didn't have to wonder if things here could hurt him. Not that his own test was necessary.

THWACK. A sharp pain hit Kyrad in the back of the neck. "You're in trouble! You're in trouble!" came a tiny, singsongy voice behind him.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: ORP: Time-out
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:49 am 
Site Admin

"What happened to him? What happened to him!?"

Cloud of course was sitting curled up by Kyrad on the cot they had put him on. Ramona, now awake and having woken up Fiona too, was now up close in Grace's face. She was frustrated beyond belief. Ramona had finally woken up and wanted to see Kyrad. Well, not so much see as do a million other things.

"So help me...if you did anything to have hurt him..." Ramona started, her fist clenched.

Quest/ORP on: Silver Wings

Character Name: Alice Springward Unlucky Witch
Sigil: Cherubim, Nariad
Runes: Destrok, Sentak, Vitale, defkon
Quest/ORP currently on: Mansion of the Sun

Name: Van Cheerful Thief
Sigi: Vienta
Runes: Destrok Morpho
Quest/ORP currently on:

Name: Ramona Servant of Y'Leigha
Quest/ORP on: Free the Children

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 am 
Site Admin

"I...I..." Grace couldn't speak. She wasn't sure that she hadn't caused this.

She'd been glad Kyrad slept the whole way back. They weren't on the best of terms at the moment, and the silence was...well, better than the alternative. On the way there, she'd been curious about the necklace he wore, but failed to see what it was. On the return trip, she was more cautious, and had managed to pull the medallion out of his shirt. It didn't look particularly special to her, and she hadn't thought much of it.

As the trip wore on, she began to reminisce about their time together as kids. Kyrad could always be seen wandering the town at night. She'd stayed out late with him a few times; it was easier to be nice to him when no one else was around. He'd even once told her he had trouble sleeping.

That was when she first started to suspect something was wrong. Kyrad hadn't so much as moved in hours. She brushed it aside until the fox appeared on his chest. Summoning creatures was an easy feat for Kyrad, but not while he was asleep. The fox had also seemed distraught that Kyrad was not waking up. Grace began to suspect that the necklace he wore might be some spell to protect him, and her moving it was what caused this.

The medallion still lay out in full view. Grace pointed at it as she stuttered. "I j...just touched it, j...j...just for a second."

==================================

"Ouch," Kyrad said, more as a statement than a reaction. He turned around to see a young girl, with greenish skin wearing a dress made of bay leaves, brandishing a thorn lash. She snapped it at him again, just missing his ear as he tilted his head out of the way.

"This is your punishment," she said, smiling at him.

"Punishment?" Kyrad repeated.

"Yes. You made her very angry, and now I get to punish you." She raised the lash again.

=================================

Outside the church, the carriage had pulled away. The driver was muttering to himself; he was getting sick of these crazy Veros people. He turned out of town, thinking about the vacation he was sure he needed, when he saw another carriage approaching. It was in terrible shape, all run down with obvious signs of rot. The horse was large and strong, however, with a black coat that matched the hat and cloak of the driver. For all its wear, the passenger area seemed whole at least. Whoever was inside was sheltered from not only the elements, but also from the driver's view. All he could think was that hopefully this driver would get the next batch of crazies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 am 
Site Admin

"That's...That's the medallion he made for me..." Ramona whispered as she touched it gently. Just looking at the medallion brought herself back to the adventure they had just had. "Kyrad..." She whimpered and wiped her eyes of tears and leaned down close to Kyrad's ear.

"I'm here. I'll always be here, Kyrad. Grace is here too and she's worried...Please come back to us..." Ramona whispered before looking at his face. She leaned down and gave him a quick kiss. "C'mon...you said you'd wake up..." She sniffed and sat down on a chair beside the cot, laying her head on Kyrad's chest, listening his heartbeat and feeling it rise and fall in a steady rhythm.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 am 
Site Admin

Kyrad let the lash wrap around his forearm. He gave a slight tug and pulled the young girl to her knees. "Now," he said calmly. "Who did I make angry, and why would they send you to punish me?"

The girl dusted herself off. "Inle," she replied, with daggers in her eyes. "She said you did a bad thing, and so she sent you here to learn your lesson. She put you right here, right next to me. That must mean I have to punish you!" She ran forward and began beating her little fists against him.

=================================

"So that's...that's not...?" Grace was slightly relieved. She wasn't the cause of the coma. She immediately chastised herself. This wasn't about her.

A voice came from the door. "Are they still filling little girl's heads with such nonsense?"

The second carriage had arrived, dropping off the oldest woman Grace had ever seen. For a moment, she thought she recognized her, but the feeling faded just as quickly.

The woman hobbled over and took a seat right next to Kyrad's cot. She looked over each of them in turn, Grace, Ramona, Cloud, and finally Kyrad. She gave an indignant hrumph.

"A magical amulet putting someone to sleep. A kiss awakening them. Even when I was young we didn't take those stories seriously. Then again, when I was young I was too busy fighting off suitors to listen to such nonsense." She smiled as she reminisced about her younger days. After a moment, she began to hum to herself.

================================

Kyrad sighed. He put his hand on the girl's head and knelt down, keeping her at arm's length. "Do you think maybe my being placed next to you might just be coincidence? Did Inle specifically tell you to punish me?"

The girl had been flailing her arms, trying to continue her assault. She slowed and finally stopped. "Well, no. But then how are you going to get punished?"

"You probably..." Kyrad didn't get to finish his thought. In the distance, he heard the crunching of trees, the whirling of cogs, and the grinding of unoiled metal on metal.

===============================

"Um, ma'am?" Grace asked. "Can w...er, can I help you with something?" Grace thought it was a little premature to consider herself and Ramona a "we."

The old woman snapped out of her memory as if she'd only just noticed she wasn't alone. "Oh, don't mind me. I'm just here looking after my student."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Ramona nearly dropjawed. This woman at one point in her life taught Kyrad? When did he ever mention that? She laid a finger on her chin and thought long and hard about their past conversations. Kyrad would always refer to a blacksmith who was like a father to him, some drunken sailors when he was on a ship and that was about it. The only women she knew that Kyrad knew from the past was of course his mother and Grace. When Grace had asked the woman how she could help her identified with an 'I' she couldn't help but wonder if at one point in her life, Ramona ran over Grace's dog. Just what did that woman have against her?

"Your student is a very brave man," Ramona started, trying to smile as she kept her hand atop of Kyrad's giving it a small squeeze. "He's saved my life so many times and I only seek to help him in return. Is there anything we can do?"

Ramona made sure to emphasize the we. She even glanced at Grace. Obviously they were the most important women in Kyrad's life, for different reasons of course. It only made since to at least TRY and work together. It's what he would have wanted, right?

He'd probably prefer Grace in a different city....but he's asleep so he can't complain. Ramona surmised.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Admin

The old woman looked at Ramona and laughed. "Ha! This troublemaker?" She poked Kyrad in the foot. "No no no. The one I'm looking for isn't here yet. He will be, though. He'll sense all this commotion in the church and head here soon as he gets into town. That won't be til afternoon, mind you." Her eyes glazed over for a second as she spoke the last part. After they returned to normal, frowned. "Always busy seeking approval. Mine, his brothers', this one." She poked Kyrad again. "You say he's brave, running around saving lives. How well do you really know him, either of you?" She turned to Grace as well. "I'm reserving my judgement until...until..." her eyes glazed over again.

======================================

"Wha...what is that?" The girl asked.

"I think it's my punishment." Kyrad replied.

In truth, it was a nine foot tall bronze automaton. It crashed through the forest towards them, its glowing red eyes trained on Kyrad.

"Get back," Kyrad said, stepping forward. He began to cast: Frejia, Destrok, Morpho.

Nothing. El'Arihril, Destrok, Morpho. Impus, Devk'ahn, Morpho. Willowisp, Endorok, Merro. Nothing seemed to work. Kyrad was facing down a giant metal man with no weapons and no magic.

======================================

"Until what?" Grace asked.

The old woman again snapped back to reality. "Bah, can't even reach him with telepathy." She reached over and grabbed his exposed ankle. Her eyes glazed over once more, but only for an instant. "Can't see him, either. Bah, he's gone and gotten himself in deep this time. Well, I'm not wasting it on him, that's for sure. I'll just wait here til he gets back."

Graced stared at the old woman "I'm confused, do you know Kyrad or not?"

"Stupid, silly name. Stupid, silly question." She chastised. Grace stared down at her feet. "I'll know him soon, his past and present. Can't read the future of these types, not with any certainty. Machines and dragons and demons and heartache and happiness and..." Grace looked up, just in time to see the old woman's eyes clear up again. "...leprechauns and tea parties and brussel sprouts." She looked around at them all again. "I hate brussel sprouts." She began muttering to herself, something about a brussel sprout insulting her hair.

=====================================

"Is this a game to you?" The girl asked, staring at Kyrad signing with no effect. "Let me deal with this."

She began chanting, a language Kyrad didn't recognize. It sounded old, but beyond that it didn't even seem to be real sounds. Some of it just sounded like...feelings. That was the only way he could have described it.

It was effective, however. Vines and roots sprang up from the ground around the automaton, securing its feet to the earth. The Dryadin (Kyrad figured that out by now) turned around, very self-satisfied.

"See, that's how you...oh my!"

The machine was changing. From beneath its forearms, a pair of pipes descended. Before they could speculate what they were for, it aimed them at its own feet and began shooting fire onto the vines.

"Run." They both said in unison.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:38 am 
Site Admin

"Don't touch him!"

Ramona was surprised the rude words had escaped her mouth, but whether or not she merely thought them or said them didn't matter. She still felt this way about the woman. She squeezed Kyrad's hand gently and glared at the woman. "This...person you speak of coming here...Does he know Kyrad? And if he does, what intentions does he have?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

"That's the problem, isn't it?" The old woman smiled. "He doesn't know Kyrad. Yet he's coming here, ready to put his life in this yutz's hands. Thinks he's some kind of all-knowing father figure, just met him yesterday," she muttered.

"Wait," Grace said. "He was with me all day yesterday. Are you talking about Fredo?"

========================

"Why are you following me?" Kyrad asked.

"Why are you following me?!" The Dryadin snapped back.

"I'm in front," Kyrad replied.

"Well, I was running this way first."

Kyrad changed direction. He took a quick glance over his shoulder. "What the hell? You know that thing is after me, right?"

"Well it shoots fire, and I don't like it."

========================

"They talked for two minutes, why would Fredo trust Kyrad with his life?" Grace asked.

"Fredo crawled inside his head, thinks he got a good look at him. This one, though, mind like a labyrinth; you'll get lost before you realize how deep in you are. He only saw what he was allowed to see, what was offered up. I intend to see what kind of person he really is."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

"I don't care what either of you think." Ramona seemed to have become a bit fed up with not knowing the whole picture. Even more, she was fed up with the implication that Kyrad wasn't exactly what Kyrad portrayed himself to be.

"This guy, Fredo, he can find his way here, right?" Ramona looked over to Grace. "Oughtn't you go out there to meet him and bring him here then?"

If there was one thing Ramona was confident in was that there could be no harm done in the church. It was a holy ground after all.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Grace looked dejected. "I guess he'll be okay here," she said. She turned and headed towards the door.

=========================

Kyrad peeked over the top of the hill. The automaton was standing in the valley, looking around. For the moment, it seemed they were safe.

"Can't you do anything to stop it?" the Dryadin asked. "What was that thing with your hands earlier?"

"My magic isn't working here," Kyrad replied, staring down at his hands. "I know the gestures, the symbols, but I can't feel any of my sigils. Add that to my lack of weapons, and there's not much I can do to a metallic, flame-throwing death machine."

========================

"Huh," the old woman said, turning to watch Grace go, "I must be losing my touch. I could have sworn you were about to ask me to help your friend here." She rapped herself on the temple.

Grace swung back around. "Wait, what? But you said..." she began pointing from Kyrad and the woman and back again.

========================

The machine was still standing in place, turning its head to look for its quarry.

"If I can sneak up on it, I may be able to disable it somehow. The design looks familiar, I imagine..." he stopped, looking up at the sky. Ten feet above their heads, a luminescent moon shone brightly. Peaking over the hill, Kyrad could see the automaton making its way up the hill, its eyes locked on the symbol in the sky.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ramona blinked and now she looked at the woman again. She squinted hard to see if there was more to this woman than she let on. She wondered if maybe this woman was like herself, a sigil in a human's body. Should she let the woman know who she was?

She got up from her chair by Kyrad's side and walked around the cot to the woman. Reaching out, she laid her cold hand on the woman's hand and gently but at the same time with some level of threat to her voice asked, "Who are you?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

The woman laughed. "I'm an old hag who spent the better part of her life learning how to read people. Mentalism, Seeing, there's not many who can hide things from me. But it's like the saying: it's not what you know, it's who you know. Wait, do they say that yet?" She looked around, confused, then smiled. "Time's a crazy thing, sometimes I get lost in it."

"Do you even have a plan?" The Dryadin was hot on Kyrad's heels.

"Yes," Kyrad replied. Not a particularly good one he thought. He could see the riverbed in the distance. He'd need a moment to prepare, but he should be able to get there before the slow, albeit tireless machine.

"Anyway," the woman said, "I know people. I've had friends, suitors, even joined a coven once. Trained a dozen disciples, even met a few of your kind," she squeezed Ramona's hand, unabated by the cold. "And they all owe me favors. I stopped accepting baubles and trinkets decades ago. I'd help people, and they'd owe me. I need something, and I collect. Favor Farah, they used to call me. So silly, my name's not even Farah! But I guess Favor May doesn't have the same ring to it."

She sat for a moment, chuckling to herself. "So yes, I could probably wake him. But I don't see why I'd waste one of my favors on him."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

"I'd appreciate it if you could." Ramona whispered sadly. "He's in trouble because of me. I'm afraid Inle kept him from waking up because he did something that...well...It was against the laws of the universe or something to that extent."

"It was because I was in trouble...and if Inle wants to punish someone she can punish me instead. Sure, Kyrad's a little reckless but..." Ramona's eyes softened at this point. "...that's one of the things I love about him." Surely enough, there was some red on her cheeks. "And of course, he told me it was my turn to rescue him and it's not going at all like it was planned! If I fall asleep..." Ramona glanced at Kyrad then to the woman. "Can I join him?"

But what she wanted to ask was, Are you Inle?

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Grace was also red in the face. She felt like she was intruding on something private, and she was ready to turn around and leave again.

You stay right where you are little missy.

She gave a small yelp like she'd been burned. She covered her mouth and remained where she stood.

===================================

"You're going to throw rocks at it?" The Dryadin asked, exasperated.

"At the gears, yes." Kyrad replied. "The machine sacrifices coverage of its internal workings to maintain mobility. A few rocks in the right places could do a lot of damage."

The Dryadin looked unimpressed.

"You're welcome to keep running," he said.

The girl looked behind her, then set about picking up pebbles.

==================================

"Sadly, that looks unlikely," May frowned. "If this was like your other dream, I don't think that fox would still be here, do you?" She shook her head. "No, it looks like Inle took extra precautions this time, to ensure he is very, truly alone. And no, I'm not her. I have no animosity for anything this boy has done. It's what he might do that worries me."