Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Analysis of the Present and Ideas For the Future.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 pm 
Journeyman

So... I've been heading here on and off for quite a damn long time, and it always dismayed me to see this place become less and less active, despite contributing to the problem myself. Finally, last night I got the urge to visit this site once more, but for a short time I was unable to find the forum, only the main rules page (By the way, the link in the non-forum info pages still links to the now-defunct former URL). Thankfully, I was able to find this place again, and while I'm pleased to see it remains up, the troubling inactivity still worries me.

However, I ended up coming up with an idea, and now I'm working on a plan. That plan involves some revamps and hopefully a fresh start through which others can find our beloved system and forum. Now, the details.

From what I've seen, this style of RPG, while interesting, doesn't seem to be as common for whatever reason. Usually what I see are freeform text RPs, or forum games of RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons or other systems designed for forum play. Now, I don't suggest changing this at its core, but I did get to thinking about what would happen if the rules were... a little more technical. Not too much, of course - the appeal of your type of setup is its simplicity and fluidity, and in any event I'd only recommend such additional rules as optional. I do, however, have ample resources and inspiration to start fleshing the rules out, even with crunch-lite games.

The second suggestion is unfortunately a bit more difficult to stomach, but also more dire. Frankly, Castlevania is a niche series at this point. Its glory days have faded a couple console generations ago, I feel, and it's been somewhat minor in the grand scheme of things. Since Konami has apparently stopped making video games, new fans of the series will likely be uncommon. The only solution I can think of, sadly, is to not tie ourselves to Castlevania. This need not mean dropping most or even any of the setting elements, but it's obvious that being billed as a CV fansite doesn't mean much to most. Thankfully, you guys have done some work on this long ago - looking through the rules and story, there's inspiration from quite a few sources, such as Lovecraft and various works based on his Mythos, and it's clear that, in the world of Disharmony, there's a lot more to it than just Dracula, the Belmonts, or their allies.

So, my suggestion is not to leave anything behind per se, but to grow. The rules can potentially be expanded to encompass a more general RPG, while the story and setting are the beginnings of a promising Dark/Gothic Fantasy, alternate history world. This, good folk of Disharmony, is my vision - not of decline, but of construction - of hope and not despair.

...Now that I'm done with all that, I'd appreciate some thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or accusations of naivety. The idea burns within me, and I must act upon it.

Last edited by Dusk Raven on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Analysis of the Presend and Ideas For the Future.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

First and foremost, welcome back.

One thing I want to touch on before any other is: these are not new concerns for us. The staff has been working on a few projects to help address some of the concerns you've outlined here. Without giving too much away, I think I can reveal a little bit to help ease your mind.

Castlevania itself is, in all likelyhood, dead. Luckily, Castlevania was built on a lot of other properties that are public domain. That said, as long as we drop Castlevania from the title (which will probably happen) and never say the world Belmont, we can keep with the same themes and tone without worrying about any major changes.

The entire backbone of our RP system is currently under review. Classes, systems, magic...everything is being looked over and several changes/additions/consolidations have already taken place behind the scenes. Because so much of the core of Disharmony is changing, the overall RPG style will change as a result. We aren't, as far as I know, looking to make the system more "technical" as you described it. I personally am not a fan of putting numbers on things, as it inevitably opens up the need to balance those numbers and changing the classes of pre-existing characters is never fun.

The final point I'd like to make is that we're aware we aren't attracting new members. There are several things we could do to increase exposure, but between the upcoming changes to the system and the position the story is in now, new members would likely find it difficult to jump in right now. After the current storyline wraps up (any day now, I'm sure...), there will be a timeskip added to the story. The old storyline will be moved to a new area for reference, and a summary will be written up to bring everyone up to speed. New storylines will begin to form, and the amount of work needed to catch up will be significantly decreased.

To wrap up, everything I've written here is the tip of the iceberg as to what's coming. Part of that is not wanting to give away too much too early, and part is because I don't know the entire scope myself yet. Rest assured, we are looking to the future and we want it to be big. I expect Frag will post here as well when he has time.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: Analysis of the Presend and Ideas For the Future.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 am 
Journeyman

It is immensely relieving to me to hear that you guys are working on this - and even with some of the setting-related ideas I thought of as well! I eagerly await the time when the new Disharmony will be unveiled. Painful as it will be to see Castlevania fade... I'm excited to see what will become of the lore.

Of course, I still want to put a more technical spin on things for my own reasons, but since you guys are working on something else already I'll just delegate that to a side-project, maybe make a thread somewhere so people who are similarly interested can give feedback.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Analysis of the Present and Ideas For the Future.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Your insights are certainly accurate, and in fact we're working toward a lot of those things. A simpler freeform format will be taking hold with the class system as a basic guide. We're also no longer using the old rules page, and have switched to a wiki format which you can find at http://cvdwiki.penguinandrabbit.com. And yes, while we'll be retaining many of the elements that Castlevania has contributed, we're looking to rebrand the site as a general gothic victorian horror and fantasy adventure under the name Disharmony RPG.

Hope you'll stick around and enjoy the site as it evolves. In the meantime feel free to play in the timeskip in preparation, or enjoy public RPGs where we welcome anyone to develop their own game on the forums.

===============================
Character Name: Pious Augustine Hadrian "The Younger Hadrian"