Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rest and Recovery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:23 am 
Site Admin

"This is absurd," Derrick complained, sulking in the passenger seat of the cart. Even though it was getting dark out, he was just now getting back to the house. "Totally ridiculous and completely unacceptable."

"You should try complaining about it some more," Finch said from the driver's seat. Unlike Derrick, he'd had time to shower and change, and was now dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. "That should help a bit."

"Why are you not more upset about this?" Derrick asked. "It's completely against the idea of fair play."

"Partly because that's the way it's always been," Patricia said from the back seat. She'd also had time to get cleaned up, but had forgone her normal workout attire and was wearing an orange sundress. "Partly because we came here knowing we'd get eliminated sooner or later. Partly because it's funny seeing you this upset."

-----

"I was hoping not to have our team meeting by the pool," Birch said, sitting up in a deck chair. Still, if he wanted Graham to be part of the session, they would have to let him soak in the healing waters of the hot springs. Still, if his powers were back to at least their old strength, that would mean good things for tomorrow.

Tobias had taken to opportunity to get in a workout. He was on his thirty-seventh lap of the pool with no signs of slowing down. After what he saw today, he was going to need more than just his invulnerability to compete.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: Rest and Recovery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:38 am 
Site Admin

Laika laid back in a lawn chair and looked out at the sky. She was trying to count the number of stars as they appeared. Her hand rested on her necklace, gently rubbing it.

Jennifer was tucking into a bit of chicken fried rice she had saved in the fridge. Sarah was timing each of Tobias's laps and Ramona sat by Birch. She seemed to be working at a notebook.

Quest/ORP on: Silver Wings

Character Name: Alice Springward Unlucky Witch
Sigil: Cherubim, Nariad
Runes: Destrok, Sentak, Vitale, defkon
Quest/ORP currently on: Mansion of the Sun

Name: Van Cheerful Thief
Sigi: Vienta
Runes: Destrok Morpho
Quest/ORP currently on:

Name: Ramona Servant of Y'Leigha
Quest/ORP on: Free the Children

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Graham was himself soaking off the injuries he'd sustained in his rather one sided battle with Eliza. He was looking a bit red, though not from the hot water. Hopefully no one asked how he managed to get a sunburn at night.

Eliza entered and gave Derrick a nudge on the way in, and a thankful wink. Maybe there was some reason why no one noticed what was happening until it was over.

"I was mostly just burning the nerve endings. Other than the bruises, sunburns, and lactic acid build up you actually feel more injured than you actually are," Eliza explained to Graham.

===============================
Character Name: Pious Augustine Hadrian "The Younger Hadrian"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

"Nothing the waters can't fix," Birch explained. He hadn't asked a lot of questions when Eliza had requested some time with Graham, though now he wished he had pressed a little harder. Still, it seemed to have worked out for the best. "Learn anything interesting?" he asked Derrick as he approached with Finch and Patricia.

"We've been set up," Derrick replied sourly.

"Don't take it so personally," Finch interrupted. "It's not like they targeted your team specifically. They do this at every tournament. It makes for a more exciting show."

"Regardless," Derrick continued. "The numbers don't lie. I checked the odds of every team in the tournament, and the organizers pretty clearly are working towards a particular finals matchup. Everyone but these two teams gets an even fight every round to soften them up, and these two get teams way below their level. Hell, one of them got a bye in the first round."

Tobias had stopped swimming when Derrick had arrived, and now he climbed out of the pool and started drying himself off. Patricia let out a little squeak.

"Which teams?" Tobias asked.

"Team Mythos, who didn't even fight today," Derrick replied. "That's your old buddy Nathan's team, by the way. And Team Mercy."

"Who we fight tomorrow," Birch reminded them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Laika glanced back at the mention that their team would be up against Team Mercy. She glanced at each fighter in turn and looked at Birch. "Do you think we're ready?"

Ramona hadn't seen the match, but the look on everyone's faces told her the story. She gulped. Jennifer meanwhile focused on giving Graham a shoulder massage.

Sarah glanced at Patricia and frowned, standing closer to Tobias than needed.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:34 am 
Site Admin

"Good, bring it on then," Graham said trying to inject some much needed enthusiasm into the team.

Geist nodded in agreement. "In any sport, competitors who advance by only facing weaker opponents are often built up beyond their actual capabilities. The result is a quick defeat when they face a team that has faced a far more difficult climb. Tomorrow will be our test."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Birch nodded. "Yes, we have a chance. The question is whether we can beat them and still have some surprises ready for the next two rounds. I'd rather not just throw everything we have at Team Mercy tomorrow."

"What do we know so far?" Derrick asked. He and Ramona hadn't been present for the other morning fights.

"Psychotic pyromancer, a girl who uses powerful ranged attacks, and some guy playing a card game," Tobias recapped.

"Can't help you with any of that," Finch replied. "I could tell you the powers of anyone who fights in North or South America, but Mercy's team usually sticks to Europe and Asia. Which is fine by me. Their manager traveled all over the world trying to buy the best team she could. They've gone through several members in the last couple years. They're more business than anything else."

"I'll watch the videos of the fights," Derrick said. "See if I notice anything you missed." He headed inside the house.

Finch twitched slightly. He had one hand in his pocket and was toying with something in there.

"Something wrong?" Birch asked.

"He wants your autograph," Patricia replied, giving Finch a shove forwards.

Finch blushed as he pulled a pen and an old bit of paper out of his pocket. He offered them to Birch.

"Huh," Birch said, looking over the paper. "This is from..."

"The night you fought Tectonis," Finch blurted out. "Your last fight."

"Were you there?" Birch asked, uncapping the pen and scribbling across the program.

"Oh, uh, no," Finch replied, looking away. "I bought that off someone who did. But I've seen the tape a couple times..."

"Couple hundred," Patricia added under the breath.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Pious suddenly looked away from Finch, sincerely hoping that Finch didn't also catch his escape as well.

"I remember that. That was a pretty intense fight for us back then," Graham said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

"I'll join you." Ramona got up and gave her father a kiss on the cheek before she followed Derrick in.

Sarah glanced over at Birch. "Do we keep Geist from fighting still?"

Laika bit her lip and she glanced over at him. She recalled the fights and the psychotic pyro kid. "I...I think Geist could kick all of their asses."

Jennifer snickered.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

"It was a close fight," Birch said as he handed the program back to Finch. "I made enough money to retire on after that. Tectonis didn't take the loss well, and had to be locked up soon after. He was a good fighter, but the tournament organizers take their rules very seriously."

He turned to Sarah and Laika. "He very well might if put against them one-on-one. Taking out all three, however, would be a stretch. From what I saw today, it looks like Graham would be our best bet against the pyromancer. Even if their powers are the same, that reduces their fight to hand-to-hand combat, which gives Graham the advantage. The girl...is tricky. Her ranged attacks are powerful, but not as fast as lightning. Still, someone like that would have trouble against Tobias. The card boy worries me, though. I'd assume the best course would be to ignore the summons and take him out quickly, but that seems almost too obvious a strategy."

-----

"Well that's...disturbing," Derrick said. The TV in the living room was just getting done showing Team Mercy's first fight, where the pyromancer went out of control. "Still, we have two people on our team immune to fire, so it's hardly a concern."

Tobias arrived behind Derrick and Ramona, pulling on a shirt. "I wouldn't mind knocking out a few of his teeth, that's for sure," he said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Graham stepped out of the pool, feeling much better now, and tried himself off before throwing a shirt on, and taking one of the chairs nearby. "I'm pretty sure the fire immunity is one thing I never totally lost. I probably could have taken him out with just my fists. Walking right up his blast and decking him in the shnoz would be no problem," Graham said, though he didn't sound exactly boastful, but rather a bit disappointed that it might be too easy.

"You think the fight would be a waste of your abilities," Geist asked Graham.

"Kind of," said Graham rubbing his head.

"Tobias however might be better employed against the summoner. His invulnerability would buy him time for us to see more of that adept's true ability, if things don't turn out as expected. Besides that, I have a feeling you'll hold back against a female fighter," Geist replied.

"Uhm...that's kind of true. I've never had to hit a girl before. Well there was that one time with the ice bitch, but that was an all or nothing sort of deal," Graham replied.

"Regardless, place me where you think I'm needed. Don't worry about showing your hand. I have enough applications for my abilities that I won't show them all in a single battle," Geist said to Birch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Ramona swallowed a little. She glanced at the tv and then down at the floor. "That guy could probably kill me." She shuddered.

-------

"Wait." Laika blinked. "There can be three on three fights? That's dangerous isn't it? I mean...They could almost do anything. What if they randomly select fighters?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:26 am 
Site Admin

"Most people could kill you," Derrick replied. "Or most of us, for that matter. It doesn't take a lot of power to do it, just the wrong mindset. There's no reason to be more afraid of him than anyone else."

"Really cheerful speech," Tobias replied sarcastically.

"Hang on," Derrick said, rewinding a bit of the video and replaying it. The part where the girl uppercutted the iron-clad opponent played again. "Why did she do that?"

-----

"In theory, we could have any kind of fight," Birch replied. "Even a six-on-one if we wanted. It's up to the coaches of the opposing teams to agree on any stipulations around the fights. That rarely happens, however. If your opponent comes to you and suggests something strange, they've usually got a plan behind it. So most matches stick with the default."

"I've only seen it done twice," Finch concurred. "Both times the team that proposed the changes won."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:24 am 
Site Admin

"Ok, so don't take any special matchups," Graham said.

"Although if we were to propose such a change, we could take advantage of the situation by switching our matchups on the fly. Though likely our opponents would reject such a proposal, unless they were somehow made to think it was their own idea," Geist replied.

"Sounds kind of complicated to me," Pious chimed in.

"It's just an idea. Though it may be better to save for a later time. We don't know much about the teamwork of our opponents. They might be a more cohesive unit than we are," Geist replied.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Ramona glanced at the video. "She had a good advantage from afar. Do you think she weakened different spots on his body and then focused all her power in one final attack?"

----

Jennifer shrugged a little. "I'm getting out of here." She sighed and walked out of the room, frustrated. She was making her way to the front of the house.

Laika glanced at Jennifer as she left and looked at Graham.

Quest/ORP currently on: