Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Extra Mile (Closed)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 am 
Site Admin

Beep beep beep

"Damn," Neal muttered, looking down at his watch. His heart rate was already above 150, and he'd only been running for half an hour. "Not good enough," he added, cycling down the speed on the treadmill slightly.

He wasn't surprised that the gym was empty this early in the morning. Then again, considering they were at a boarding school crawling with powered people, the school gym was barely ever crowded. That's because most people had a more complete power than Neal's.

"Complete control over my adrenal system," he though to himself. "Allows me to fight at my physical peak right up until I have a heart attack." It was true that he was trying to condition himself to maintain his turbo state, as he had secretly dubbed it, for longer periods of time. There was the added benefit, however, of increasing his peak physical condition. If he was stronger and faster without his adrenaline, he'd get twice those gains when he went all out.

Beep beep beep

Neal slammed his hand down on the stop button, letting the treadmill crawl to a stop. He poured some water into his mouth then over his face. Reaching into his bag, he grabbed a towel and a protein bar.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: The Extra Mile (Closed)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:17 am 
Site Admin

"You like the taste of cardboard?" said a voice behind him.

A tall, athletic girl with dark skin and long dark hair was standing there. She dropped her bag on the floor and adjusted her sweats. "Those bars," she added, indicating the protein bar in Neal's hand. "I tried them before. They've got a good mix of protein and fiber, but they taste awful. Here," she said, handing him a bar out of her bag. "These are much better."

"I don't like banana," Neal said, looking at the wrapper and handing it back.

"Ugh," the girl said, tossing the bar back into her bag and pulling out another one. "If you say you don't like peanut butter I'm gonna smack you with it."

Neal smiled slightly and took the bar, opening it and taking a bite. "Wow, that's good," he said.

"You're welcome," the girl said to him, hopping onto the treadmill next to the one Neal was sitting on.

"Oh, uh, thanks," Neal said. He took another drink of water and checked his watch. His heart rate was still a little elevated, but it was close enough to resting that he decided to start again.

"You training for something?" the girl asked. She had her treadmill on one of the lowest settings, though it was clear that pace wasn't even a warm-up for her.

"You could say that," Neal replied, pushing the dial up to a jogging pace.

"The 5K next month?" the girl offered. "That's what I'm working on. I just got the okay from my doctor to start training again as long as I promise to start small and work my way up." She shot Neal a mischievous smile and bumped her dial up, matching his speed.

Post subject: Re: The Extra Mile (Closed)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:00 am 
Site Admin

"You must run a lot," the girl said after the first half mile. "You on the track team or something?"

"Just like to stay fit," Neal replied. "What about you?"

"Used to do lacrosse," the girl replied. She bumped up her speed slightly. "Had to stop because of a muscle tear. But my last x-ray was perfectly clean. They said I was lucky to have no permanent damage."

"Lucky would have been not tearing it in the first place," Neal replied. He adjusted his speed to match the girl's again.

"Ha, that's what I told them," the girl said. She pushed her speed up ever so slightly. "I guess I wasn't lucky about how I got lucky."

Neal matched her speed again. For someone who had just recovered from a debilitating injury, this girl was giving him a run for his money. "So are you gonna rejoin the lacrosse team?" he asked.

"Not sure," the girl replied. She pushed the dial up one more time while she wiped beads of sweat from her brow. It looked like she was at her limit. "I'm doing fencing now. It's less rigorous but I'd have to abandon my friends. Well, friend."

"Sounds rough," Neal replied. He bumped up his speed, going just a bit faster than the girl. He smiled to himself, knowing he could keep this pace a little longer before his watch beeped at him.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

This time the sound came from the treadmill. Both Neal and the girl slowed their pace as the two treadmills, as well as the light above them, suddenly shut off.

"Did we blow a fuse?" Neal wondered aloud.

"Looks like it," the girl replied, hiding her smile as she splashed water on her face. "I guess we can call it a tie," she added, biting into her banana bar.

"I guess so," Neal replied, looking up at the light above them. "Look at that, she got lucky again," he thought.