Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Sell Frustrations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Claire walked into Valcior and Mina's inn. It was a good month after the opening night. She looked frustrated and tossed her bag onto a nearby table, sitting down and glaring at it. Mina looked over from the kitchen, having been prepping for that night's service. Cleaning her hands, Mina stepped out and looked at Claire.

"Something wrong?" She asked and looked around. "They weren't selling any turnips?"

"They're not selling to me. No one is selling anything to me in this town!!" Claire stomped her foot.

Quest/ORP on: Silver Wings

Character Name: Alice Springward Unlucky Witch
Sigil: Cherubim, Nariad
Runes: Destrok, Sentak, Vitale, defkon
Quest/ORP currently on: Mansion of the Sun

Name: Van Cheerful Thief
Sigi: Vienta
Runes: Destrok Morpho
Quest/ORP currently on:

Name: Ramona Servant of Y'Leigha
Quest/ORP on: Free the Children

Post subject: Re: No Sell Frustrations
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:28 am 
Belmont

"Well now," Valcior's voice preceded him coming into her view as he slowly rose to a kneeling and then standing position from behind the bar itself. What had undoubtedly been part of a shelf moments ago rested on the bar as he wiped his brow. This was not in response to any exertion of energy but a gesture to cover up conflicting emotions, the least of which being his embarrassment at having just broken that damn shelf, again. "Perhaps they were simply out of stock. You know, I've been really busy today and could use an excuse to get some air. Why don't we make another circuit of the market and see if maybe some of the vendors have had time to tend to their inventories?" He honestly didn't have the energy to play coy about it. If they would not sell to Claire then it just meant that there was someone out there they feared more than her, which was, as he always maintained, their folly.

Even so, he pondered. I don't think even ol' Barry is scarier than the both of us.

Species: Human
Classes: Slayer, Brute, Sorcerer
Weapons: "Răzbunare" the Sword, "Lechery" Cat o' nine tails with metal heads, "Barb" Single-Headed (spiked ball) Leather Whip, "Skull Render" Steel-Spiked Club (21 3/4th inches), Custom War Scythe.
Money: 10 G
Pack: 3 Silver Stakes, Hammer, 10 knives, 2 axes, 1 vial of holy water (1 pint), 1 cross, 1 oak steak, 1 Days Traveler's Food, 2 Loves of bread, 2 Full Canteens, 5 Empty Canteens, 4 Bags Fresh Vegetables, 1 Blocks of Cheese, Four foot heavy chain
House: Bronze bar
Attire: Chain Mail Vest under: Grey shirt embroidered around the V-neck with Faux gold crescent moons, grey pants held up by a belt similarly embroidered, worn out leather boots. Reed Anklet.
Quests completed: 1
Unlocked Abilities: Level Two Bible Crash, Level Two Stake Crash (Need Book D:!)
Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Claire pondered that thought for a moment and then nodded as she stood up. "Yea, I suppose so. Mina, do we need anything else?"

Mina tilted her head slightly. "Well, if there are any fruit in season...I'd like to come up with a new dessert?"

Claire nodded. "Sure thing." She got up and walked over to the door. "Ready, Valcior?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:42 am 
Belmont

"Just a second," he said, quietly. The very tone of his voice shifted, deathly serious. Without explaining himself he stepped out from behind the bar, past Claire and Mina both and up the stairs. For almost a minute there was simply nothing but silence and then slowly but surely his footsteps approached. One long buried boot, scarred, scuffed and ragged lead the other and when he reached the bottom of the stairs he looked and felt more like the man who traveled alongside Drake. Hanging from his belt, the long, thin whip curled and remained visible, like a snake threatening an approaching predator, and over his comfortable hung the long chainmail vest, which both weighed more than he remembered and hung more loosely than he would like. Valcior reached the bottom step, ran one hand through his hair with a soft sigh and said, "Now, I think I'm dressed for a stroll."

Valcior eased the door to the tavern open and offered his arm, the smile crossing his face a bit more sardonic than usual, a bit more like the fighter that he once was.

"Unless you'd rather stay in tonight?"

Weapons: "Răzbunare" the Sword, "Lechery" Cat o' nine tails with metal heads, "Barb" Single-Headed (spiked ball) Leather Whip, "Skull Render" Steel-Spiked Club (21 3/4th inches), Custom War Scythe.
Pack: 3 Silver Stakes, Hammer, 10 knives, 2 axes, 1 vial of holy water (1 pint), 1 cross, 1 oak steak, 1 Days Traveler's Food, 2 Loves of bread, 2 Full Canteens, 5 Empty Canteens, 4 Bags Fresh Vegetables, 1 Blocks of Cheese, Four foot heavy chain
Attire: Chain Mail Vest under: Grey shirt embroidered around the V-neck with Faux gold crescent moons, grey pants held up by a belt similarly embroidered, worn out leather boots. Reed Anklet.
Unlocked Abilities: Level Two Bible Crash, Level Two Stake Crash (Need Book D:!)
Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Admin

"Uh..." Claire looked him up and down. She blushed slightly and laughed a bit. "Let's get what Mina needs and we'll come back, okay?"

She placed her arm around Valcior's and led him out to the village. Claire took him to one of the nearest vendors and approached the saleslady. "Excuse me...do you have anything like in season fruits?"

The saleslady frowned and looked down to the side. "I'm sorry Claire...not today."

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:13 am 
Belmont

"That sounds fair," he agreed and allowed her to lead. He was better known for being behind the bar to the village, she was better known for being out and about. It only made sense to trust her on what she knew. Still, even so he allowed himself to have a very obvious hearty look at their surroundings for the entirety of the journey. It wasn't absolutely ridiculous to think that maybe, just maybe there was a bit of active sabotage going on, someone maybe following Claire to be sure that no one helped her out or did business with her.

If so, they were about to be sorely disappointed.

"Well then," he said to the saleslady's response. "Since I've never known an owner of an establishment to be so eager not to make a sale, I suppose it must be true," Valcior's coal-dark eyes sharpened as he caught her own. "When do you think you might come of some stock?" He ignored the clear and glaring evidence of inventory that stood on a stand between the couple and the peddler and simply waited to see her response to persistence. "I'm sure if we cannot avail ourselves of your business today, we can certainly come back tomorrow, right Claire?"

Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:16 am 
Site Admin

The saleslady looked absolutely heartbroken. "Claire...I'm sure both you and your friend here will understand...My husband..." She dabbed a bit at her eyes.

"Oh Lydia...Is Van still sick?" Claire asked. She then turned to Valcior. "Van is their little boy, about...six years old now?"

Lydia nodded. "We don't make a lot of money...and we needed medicine very badly. Barry...he...he helped us on a condition."

Claire's shoulders sagged. "I see." She said, sounding a little resigned to it.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:25 am 
Belmont

Valcior pondered for a second. There was a portion of his brain as he took all this information in that immediately wanted to call the woman in front of him weak of character. That was understandable, she was part of more than an inconvenience for Claire and at least that for the tavern, which meant at least that for Mina. Even still, to find herself in this situation meant that she was doing everything she could for family, as Claire had for her father and as he himself had all those years ago for Jucan.

Even if I do not blame the merchant for this situation, if I make trouble in the market now it might deliver Barry a message. Valcior weighed the collateral damage against the concept of being able to confront Barry and put an end to this. As much as he cared for Claire and Mina both, they were not yet at a level of desperation that made collateral damage acceptable. At least he didn't think.

Then, without warning, Valcior grinned, brightly.

Oh what an idea!

"Well then, thank you for your time ma'am," he said, loudly enough for any eavesdropper to hear before he leaned forward and murmured much more quietly. "Those chains you're wearing, I think they're going to get much lighter soon." He lightly nudged Claire and nodded toward a stand a ways down where a competing merchant sat. "Maybe we should stroll on," he added, eager to get some momentary privacy.

Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Lydia looked perplexed for a moment, but a small smile appeared on her face. "Good luck to you both. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience."

Claire nodded and followed Valcior outside. "So...see what I mean?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 am 
Belmont

Valcior did not stop smiling. It was not sardonic, sarcastic or vicious and those seemed to be the only smiles he could call up nowadays. No, this one was both real and very very justified. An idea had occurred to him. He stopped short without responding to her and called out to the market at large. "For the next two weeks I will be paying double the value for food on its way to my daughter's tavern. After that, anyone seen doing business with Barry Stiltskin will find none from me, though they will, as always be welcome to hospitality and comfort perched on top of one of our stools." There, he was not rich enough to compete with Stiltskin, but he didn't need to. He simply needed to make sure that ol' Barry knew he was marked.

"Speaking of paying double, anyone with a horse willing to run a message for me will find quite a lucrative opportunity if they come by the tavern in say, ten or twenty minutes," he glanced sideways to Claire and for some reason even he could not quantify, it made the smile grow wider. "I'm getting a bit nippy, I think. Do you have anywhere else you'd like to go before we get back to Mina and get a fire growing?"

The evening regulars would be in very, very soon after all.

Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:41 am 
Site Admin

"I hope you have an idea of who you're picking a fight with." Claire pointed out to Valcior. "Barry is not going to like this one bit."

But it seemed to work. Except for Lydia, some storekeepers were able to put aside their debt and sell to Valcior and Claire. The two of them were able to return to the inn with their produce and Claire actually seemed to be in a good mood.

"He's either going to target the stores again or come after you, Valcior." Claire warned.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 am 
Belmont

Did I ever mention Castle Dracula? he thought, half sarcastically. Then it occurred to him that just maybe he had not.

"Barry is an insect, Claire. He would survive three days in Veros: oOne day to scout the town out, one day to bluster about and make threats and one day for a bored, member of the Guild to leave him chained up somewhere public, bleeding from the nose and relieved of the burden of a couple of his teeth," the whole speech came out in a hiss as he sat down a large crate of supplies. He did not look at Mina as he said this, his frustration and pride both embarrassing him. His heartrate dropped to normal as the door slid open.

Valcior turned to look past both Mina and Claire, unable to explain himself or say anything more on the subject for a second. Christ, he thought that dressing like he once did might inspire a bit of confidence but this was not confidence he felt, this was the same as the early days after Castle Dracula, angry, confused and aggressive. This was the Valcior that he never wanted to become again. The sooner the weapon and armor were sat aside, the better. "Hello there, lad."

Framed in the doorway was a boy of no older than thirteen, whose hair was ragged and frankly filthy. The entirety of his exposed skin was much the same Valcior recognized the look of one who worked a farm fresh from his day's labors. Of course, he thought, glancing briefly at Claire I have reason to. The boy's face betrayed nerves, which was fine. If the child was here for the reason he expected then he wanted to make sure there was a suitable air of seriousness in the room. "Are you here for the courier job?" A slight jerk of boy's head sent his wild brunette hair into a wave. "You look like a stout lad. If you've got a good horse and are okay to ride, you'll have the job."

"Thank you, sir," the nerves visible on the face admirably did not show in his voice. "And my horse is the best in this town or any other. I'll make the delivery for you, where--"

Valcior cut him off.

"Hold on," the former Slayer murmured and hurried behind the desk. It was with surprising speed that he produced a quill and ink and managed to get a letter written down. One could only assume, at least, that it was as sloppily written as it was hastily. Even being one of the few people to leave Habrig lucky enough to be able to spell, Valcior still had the handwriting of the child he was when he began to study at the church. "Sorry about the wait," he added as he glanced once more over the letter and rolled it up, tying it shut with a strip from a dishrag. Hah, never let it be said Valcior had lost his creativity.

Right!

Valcior stopped approaching when he was little more than an inch or two from the teenager and examined his eyes. He definitely saw fear and nerves there, but there was no deception, Valcior trusted that. He extended his hand and held the letter out. His left hand followed suit, with a pair of gold coins balanced in them. "You get twice that again when the job is done and you come back. Preferably with a response but if the man and the woman of the house are both too busy to reply, that's all fine and good. " As soon as the boy took hold of first the letter and then the gold, he relaxed. "A few miles East is a farm, the owner is named Drake. You will know him when you see him because if I make you nervous, boy, he will make you quake without a kind tone leaving his voice or any outward source of discomfort. I want that letter in his hand or his wife's. No one else. Do you understand?"

"Y-Yes sir, thank you."

Valcior did not bother to bid the boy farewell, as he was already backing quietly from the room when he turned back toward Mina and Claire, a small, poorly suppressed smile on his face. When the door shut behind the courier, he chuckled.

"Yes, my friend, I think between the three in this room and those at yonder farm the boy's riding to now, well, Barry doesn't know what's coming."

Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 am 
Site Admin

Claire gulped.

"Valcior...just...just what do you plan on doing?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 am 
Belmont

"I plan on making sure that business is slightly harder for him and slightly better for your other employers, as well as the peddlers here in town. In short, I intend to try to play Barry's game for a while. You see, if I dislike the concept of Barry interfering with you or Mina, well, let's just say that I think Drake and Jennifer would have some slightly more emphatic feelings on the issue and I think fair is fair as far as the exchange of knowledge." Valcior took a quiet moment to look around at the mostly prepared bar area before he helped himself to a glass of beer. "Besides, I've often thought we ought to be doing business directly with the farm, this is a bit late in coming, don't you think? It only makes sense, everyone here has ties to them."

He took a sip from the mug he had just procured.

"Honestly, Claire, you can trust me on this one and please don't take this as me not taking him seriously or belittling you in any way, I think I was always waiting for a Barry Stiltskin."

Recipes:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 am 
Site Admin

"True. I just hope they're ready." Claire mumbled.

----

Soon....

"Graham!! There's a boy here with a message for us!"

Jennifer stood outside near the barn. She waited for Drake to come out.

Quest/ORP currently on: