Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Benedict Von Rothstein
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:52 pm 
Villager

Name: Benedict Von Rothstein (prefers to be called either by full first name, Benedict, or "Heir Rothstein)

Species: Human

Alignment: Dark

Religion: Roman Catholic

Class 1: Judasari

Class 2: Aristocrat

Sub-Class: Occultist

Weapon: Ebony Walking Cane (Note: When considering the background story for this character, I would prefer if the cane could have a silver tip. This, however, is entirely negotiable, given the information to apply specifically states that beginning arrows and bullets cannot be made of silver.)

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair color:Pale blond, medium length, short queue in the back
Eye color: Amber
Body type: Fair skin, not muscular to the extent of a warrior.

Facial structure: Sharp features ultimately make him appear taller than he actually is. His eyes are generally quasi-closed, as if squinting to see something far away.

Attire: Always dressed in either straight black or white. Most variants include: wingtip shirt, trousers, cravat (an older style of necktie from the same century), gloves, frock coat and/or inverness coat, but never a hat. He has always been opposed to covering his head.

Notable features: Indiscriminate, small group of black dots on the back of the cranium. No one can tell what they are, as his hair is always blocking them from sight, and he refuses to let it be cut. There are also blackened scars on his palms depicting a St. Benedict Medallion.

Flaws:

Minor- As with most people fortunate enough to be born into a wealthy family of high social stature, he is prone to hubris against the commoners, half-breeds, and the like. He enjoys it perhaps too much when he is able to defame those around him, and he does so with articulate and incendiary ferocity. The time spent on learning how to communicate, however, means time lost in his efforts to study the beasties he aims to eradicate. So, while his skill in identifying monsters is not entirely up to par, it is still present. He also is not trained to use every item that a general occultist would use, and is limited to: One holy crucifix, one vial of holy water, one book of rites, and one wooden stake & mallet.

Major- In times of extreme duress, it has been noted that he slips into a sort of catatonic state wherein his body is devoid of movement. It would be as if he were asleep standing with his eyes open. When attacked or to be in such peril as to reach that point, he is extremely vulnerable and only extreme shock can awaken him. His father, a noted scholar, doctor, and surgeon, was known for the same behavior.

Benefits:

Minor- His rhetorical prowess makes him excel at gathering information that most people would not disclose to a stranger. Utilizing the concept of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," he uses his aptitude for slander to garner trust and respect from the enemies of those he is set out against. The phrase "Never serve two masters" means nothing to him. Also, having been fathered by a revered surgeon, his skills in autopsy and knowing natural weaknesses in the body can be exploited twice as easily. Being a judasari, he can see a little further into the ethereal realm than a typical occultist, and gains a small boost in the areas of negotiation, exorcism, hypnotism and the extra-planar sense.

Major- What no one can see is that during this trance, his mind is fully functional and operates at double the normal capacity for thought and problem solving. Upon being awakened from the trance, he enters an ascended state. His skills at magic dampening are amplified by two times, and becomes capable of crippling even the physical movements of lesser foes through a disruption of the natural electrical energies at work in the body at any given time. This effect only lasts for 2 turns.

Backstory:

October 30, 1836 - Rokgarten, Eastern Prussia - Except from the diary of Count Arnold Von Rothstein, M.D.

Today should be a day of rejoicing! My children are born today, on the eve of all saints day. In honor of this, I have decided to have two male children, naming one Benedict and the other, Valeriu, so chosen by my wife who is of Romanian descent. But today, no man rejoices at this estate, for any sound of jubilation has been muted by the wailing of my poor Roxana. I must help her through the crucible, or she shall surely die.

Count Arnold had been offered an estate and land in Prussia after having served the German royal family as their surgeon and physician for a time. He settled down there with Roxana and had accrued a vast fortune through his services and medical breakthroughs. This night however, would prove that even the most experienced doctors will be tested. Roxana's pregnancy had been an uneasy one, and he never could understand why until now.

My sons are born. But, are they my sons, or perhaps some hideous spawn sent from the ninth circle of hell? A grotesque writhing mass, conjoined at the back of the skulls. It has been two days since the delivery, and from what I can tell, one of these things has continued to...change...it seems to feed from the other. It does not imbibe nourishment from Roxana, whose health was waning before my intervention. Its body is become black, though not of a moor, but as if he were to have been rolled in soot. Benedict is now, I believe, knocking at the doors of death; his life essence being sapped away. Unless I separate the two, one or both will die before dawn tomorrow.

The doctor managed to disconnect the children in what some would call a "miracle." After caring for the two separately for several weeks, Benedict had managed to regain his strength and continued to grow as a healthy child. Valeriu, however, progressed in his ghastly mutation. At the age of 7, both were still alive, but Valeriu was kept locked away from the prying eyes of the Counts peers, until one night.....

I do not know how or why, but Valeriu has escaped and slaughtered the entirety of my help...He is not of this world. His eyes, glow like the fires of the Devil himself. His strength is beyond that of any man...God forgive me for what I have done...I have locked Roxana and myself in our chambers praying that he will just leave...I cannot find Benedict anywhere, and I fear him dead already.

The Count was unaware, but Benedict had already been faced by his brother, for the last hour. They stood opposite each other at either side of the great hall. The once fine china had been shattered at strewn, tablecloth in tatters; it looked as though a storm had ripped through the hall. Valeriu was barely visible, his skin, black as night enshrouded everything but his fiery eyes in shadow. A twisted, wry smile exposed his gnarled teeth and the fiery glow behind them.

"Son of Germaine," the beast spoke. "Benedict, what's the matter?"

"Why brother," Benedict's voice was a whimper "why have you k...killed them?"

"Well, to be fair, I haven't killed all of them...There's still that wretch of a father of ours' to trifle with..." Valeriu laughed, to demean his father further. He glanced around the room, and then fixed his eyes back on his brother.

"Do you intend to kill me...?" Benedict began to inquire, but as he spoke, his voice fell to a whisper, and then nothing.

The table creaked with Valeriu's slow footsteps. Suddenly, a flame burst up from the fireplace, and as the flame, Valeriu charged his brother with murderous intent! Drool, and blood wafted from his mouth in the air behind him as he dashed forward.

Frozen. He couldn't even breath. His mind was racing like quick silver. What was that? That glint in the fireplace?

"AAAH!" Benedict cried out, feeling the seering, the popping of flesh as Valeriu sunk his teeth into his shoulder. And, like lightning, Benedict could move. He ran right for the fireplace and reached out for that glimmer, that hope beyond hope that he was not going to die. But the pain; he clasped what he had grabbed in both hands to cool in down. It was just as soon as he could turn to face his brother, that Benedict had been pinned to the floor.

"Brother...Son of Germaine. Tonight you may die, but I will always be with you. I love you..." Valeriu threw his devilish head back in uproarious laughter, but it didn't last even a second.

"You are no brother of mine." Benedict growled behind his teeth. "Vade Retro Satana!" The boy crashed his hands on both sides of that devil's face. Valeriu let out a shriek like ten thousand men dieing all together. The room was filled with a bright fire, and when he could see again, Benedict stood above his brother, who was prone on the floor. The blackened flesh had given way to the greyish hue that all dead men wear. Whatever called out to Benedict from the fire, it was no longer in his hands, only the scars and pain of the images it left behind. They were black now; the same Valeriu used to be.

"Mama? Papa?" Benedict sat next to his brother, and wept.

It is now 1860, and Benedict Von Rothstein has left the estate in Prussia and traveled to Romania to quench his thirst for knowledge. During his travels, he studied under several mysterious people, who for now will remain undisclosed. He now makes his living as an exorcist for hire, supposedly to help people. But life has left him cold, unforgiving, and full of questions. Who is Germaine? Who was Valeriu, really? What are these strange powers? Are they a gift? Or a curse, such as the one poor Valeriu suffered...? Whatever the case, his goal was clear:

"Fear me, devils. For one day, I shall rule you all."

I'm very sorry if this is too long, but honestly, I feel as though I could have wrote a lot more...

Thanks for your consideration!

Last edited by carsonchilders on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Benedict Von Rothstein
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 am 
Site Admin

This looks good, but you forgot to give yourself any benefits. for those flaws.

===============================
Character Name: Pious Augustine Hadrian "The Younger Hadrian"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Approved. Now just copy it into the registered characters forum and you're ready to play.

===============================
Character Name: Pious Augustine Hadrian "The Younger Hadrian"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm 
Villager

Excellent! Thank you!

Weapon: Silver Tipped Walking Cane
Money: 75
Possessions: 1 Vial of Holy Water, 1 Book of Rites, 1 Holy Crucifix, 1 Wooden Stake & Mallet
Quests completed:
Reputations:

Profile E-mail