Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Loose Ends
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 am 
Site Admin

Fredo didn't like coffee. He'd ordered a pot just like Kyrad had asked, and thought he would give it a try while he waited. The first taste made him gag, and he was about to ask if they'd made it correctly when Grace had arrived.

"Did you put anything in it?" she asked. Fredo's confused stare was answer enough. "Here," she said, taking his cup. She added cream and sugar, then poured a cup for herself.

The second sip was more bearable, but Fredo had trouble believing anyone would drink this regularly. If he wasn't going to drink, he felt compelled to have a conversation. "It's pretty intense, isn't it?"

"The coffee?" Grace asked, "This is actually pretty mild. It's an acquired taste." She took another sip.

"Oh, um, I was actually referring to May's visions," Fredo replied. In the awkwardness of the moment, he sought refuge in the coffee. He only made a slightly disgusted face this time.

"Oh, yes. She's quite powerful. She taught you, correct?" Grace replied. She was trying to steer the conversation away from the visions she'd seen. It had been nerve wracking enough to relive once today.

"The mind-reading, yes. The seeing...not so much. It's a lot more complicated and I...May said it wasn't my calling."

"Oh," Grace said. "I'm sure you have other talents." She was trying to cheer him up. "Maybe one of your brothers..." She stopped abruptly.

Fredo was playing with the candle on their table. He shifted the flame back and forth, then pulled it from the wick and let it dance on his fingers. 'Yeah, other talents," he said, setting the flame back on the candle.

They sat in silence for a bit, each sipping their coffee. Grace finally broke the silence. "So, how's..."

"Kyrad." Fredo gestured towards the door. Sure enough, Kyrad had just come walking through the door. He joined them at the table, poured himself a cup, and downed it in one gulp. No milk or sugar, just black. As he poured himself a second cup, it occurred to them that he was much happier now than he'd been when either of them had left.

"They always make it so weak," he said, sipping the second cup.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: Loose Ends
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 am 
Site Admin

For obvious reasons, Ramona had stopped as they walked in and asked for a simple pitcher of water before sitting down. Curious though, she reached for Kyrad's cup and gave it the smallest of sips. She immediately jerked away from it and made a face.

"I think I'll stick with this." She stated, pouring herself a glass. Ramona gave Fredo a friendly smile as if inviting him to have some water too. Ramona said nothing else though, this was Kyrad's conversation. She mainly came for support, but there was something she wanted to ask him when he was done here.

Quest/ORP on: Silver Wings

Character Name: Alice Springward Unlucky Witch
Sigil: Cherubim, Nariad
Runes: Destrok, Sentak, Vitale, defkon
Quest/ORP currently on: Mansion of the Sun

Name: Van Cheerful Thief
Sigi: Vienta
Runes: Destrok Morpho
Quest/ORP currently on:

Name: Ramona Servant of Y'Leigha
Quest/ORP on: Free the Children

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Fredo would have liked a glass of water, too. Instead, he poured himself another cup of coffee, black this time, and was determined to drink it all. He just put the cup to his lips when he was interrupted.

"What are you doing, Fredo?" Kyrad asked.

"I wanted to try it plain," he said, setting his cup back down.

"Here, Fredo. What are you doing in Veros?" Kyrad clarified.

"Oh," Fredo said. He grabbed his cup again and raised it an inch off the tale before thinking better of it. "You said there was a war. I came to help."

"How?" Kyrad asked.

Fredo paused. "Well, you saw my mentalism first-hand..."

"And it was very impressive. But is that it?"

Grace pushed the candle towards Fredo. Somehow, he knew Kyrad would be less impressed. Still, it was about all he had left. He placed his hands on either side of the flame, letting it grow into a small fireball. The lifted it into his lap, looking to see if Kyrad was impressed.

Kyrad reached out and touched the fireball. It extinguished in a burst of cold air. "Relight the candle," he said.

"I...I can't. I can only move existing flames." Fredo's gaze dropped back to his cup.

"Fredo," Kyrad began. He was being stern, but Fredo was just glad he couldn't sense pity. "It's a noble thing you're trying to do, and if we had more time, I'm sure you could be right out there on the front lines fighting. But you're in no condition right now to take up arms." Kyrad took another sip. "So when this all kicks off, you're...you're both," he indicated Grace as well, "going to be holed up with the townsfolk. You can tend to the wounded, but if the fight makes its way to you, you run and you hide."

He looked back and Fredo. "You're teacher seems to think you only came here for my sake." Fredo opened his mouth to protest, but Kyrad held up his hand. "I don't care about your motives. I didn't exactly come here with the best intentions. But this won't be the end. They'll be plenty of battles in the future, and if you still want to be a part of them after tonight, you'll have the opportunity."

Fredo thought on Kryad's words for a moment. He had come for Kyrad's sake, but he knew he wasn't going to be useful in a straight fight. He finally nodded. "Alright, I'll stay with Grace."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 am 
Site Admin

"And you can count on me to keep Kyrad...well...out of reasonable trouble," Ramona pitched in with a bright grin. "I'm not as strong as Kyrad of course, but I know I can definitely go on the offence nowadays."

Ramona turned to Kyrad and laid her hand atop of his. She had said all she would say now. What she wanted to ask was not for those two to hear. Just now she can feel her face redden.

"But...Fredo, you'll take care of Grace too, won't you?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Fredo chuckled. "Yeah, if anything happened to Grace I'd never hear the end of it."

"The end of what from whom?" Grace asked, looking puzzled.

Fredo looked uneasy. Instead of answering, he took a sip from his coffee, forgetting it was black. He choked a bit and began to sputter. When he recovered, Grace was looking at him, concerned, and seemed to have forgotten her question.

"Now, I believe you and I have a long overdue conversation," Kyrad said, turning to Grace.

Grace had been expecting this. He was going to yell at her, call her stupid, make her explain why she had left him to die. She braced herself.

"Did it really mess you up that much?" Kyrad asked.

"I'm...I...what?"

"You were on your way to a normal, boring life. You were going to get married, start an orphanage, and spend your life taking care of the less fortunate. Instead, you are here in Veros, trying to sell weapons to fighters, and somewhere along the way you took up magic. That is a drastic alteration to your plans in life, and I'm wondering how badly that ritual changed your worldview."

Grace sat for a moment. Somehow, this was harder than just being yelled at. Kyrad wasn't calling her stupid or useless, he was calling her broken. The part that hurt the most was that she agreed with him. "How could I...how could I take care of anyone after how badly I failed that night. I tried to help and ended up ruining everything." A tear slid down her cheek.

Kyrad sighed and placed his hand on his brow. "Don't. Don't cry. Look, lets back up a bit. Do you know why I was so mad at you that night?"

Fredo spoke inside Kyrad's mind. I don't think that's going to stop her crying.

I admit, it isn't a direct tactic, Kyrad replied.

Grace shed another tear. "Of course I know why."

"I don't think you do," Kyrad said. There was no derision, belittlement, or sarcasm in his voice. "Tell me exactly why."

Grace paused. She wondered if he was calling her stupid now. "I...I insisted on that ritual and nearly got you killed."

"No. Not even close." Kyrad replied. "Even if I had thought that at the time, do you think after all these years I can still walk around thinking you're the source of all my problems? That almost getting killed only happens when I'm around you?" He took another sip. "You were trying to help, because that's who you are. It blew up in your face, but I can't really hold that against you."

Grace wiped her eyes and looked up. "Then why?"

Kyrad sighed. "After the ritual, when we were there on the shore, I saw how you looked at me. You had fear in your eyes. You were terrified of me. You gave me the same look the other kids' mothers did every time I walked by. You were the one person who was supposed to understand I wasn't some monster. That's why I got so mad." Kyrad drained his cup. "I understand that I expected too much. You were just a kid and you'd been through a horrible ordeal. And I was a kid who held a grudge too long. I'm sorry."

Grace stared in shock. "You're sorry? I leave you to die and you apologize to me? I'm supposed to apologize. I'm the one who was wrong. It was my fault. I'm sorry!" She was starting to get hysteric.

"Of course you're sorry. You're sorry when someone gets sick. You're sorry when it rains outside. You even apologized that time that squirrel bit me. Why wouldn't you be sorry about something you actually had a reason to feel sorry about? I knew you were sorry, but I did all kinds of terrible things I was never sorry for. So I apologized."

"So what happens now?" Grace asked.

"I usually just try to stay away from squirrels." Kyrad replied.

Fredo chuckled. Grace didn't.

"You stop beating yourself up, for one." Kyrad said, getting serious. "What happened, happened. It was awful, but it's in the past. We can't change it, so there's no point in dwelling on it. We'll argue, we'll joke, and we'll sell weapons. We'll move on."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 am 
Site Admin

"And I'm sorry, Grace." Ramona looked over at her. "I thought you've been trying to steal Kyrad away from me."

Knowing there would be a moment of awkward looks, Ramona blushed and tried to explain herself. "You were someone from Kyrad's childhood who knew him a lot more than I had. A couple of times I had seen you, well...I thought for sure you were flirting with him. The only thing that was going through my mind was...well.."

Ramona coughed and said in her meanest voice (which she failed at spectacularly), "'I hate her! She's trying to take away the one of the few kindest people I met! I want Kyrad to myself and I don't want to share him with anyone especially her!'"

She paused and coughed again. "Well...I defnitely grew up since then a lot. And I've learned there are different kinds of love in the world. So, I love you as a friend Grace." Ramona smiled warmly and turned to Fredo. "You too."

Ramona stared back into her cup of water which was now a cup of ice. She sighed deeply.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Fredo stared at Ramona awkwardly. Grace, her nerves frayed after all they'd been though, just started giggling. Kyrad smiled, fiddling with the rotating plates on his wrist. He reached out and touched Ramona's glass, slowly diffusing the magical heat, and bringing her water just above freezing again.

He drained his cup and stood. "You should all try to get some sleep. We've got a big day ahead of us."

He turned and made his way towards the door.

"Where's he going?" Fredo asked.

Grace knew. With a battle careening towards them, there was only one place he'd be found; one place with everything he needed to prepare. Still, she thought it would be better for Ramona to answer. She filled her cup and began stirring in milk and sugar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Ramona watched Kyrad as he got up to leave. When Fredo asked his question, she turned to look at him, "Kyrad is a blacksmith. The forge is where he feels most comfortable I suppose. Um, if you'll excuse me."

She bowed her head and got up, rushing out after Kyrad. Outside of the tavern, she caught him by the sleeve of his shirt. "Umm..." Ramona felt like her cheeks were burning probably from the blushing.

"About...where I should sleep..." That wasn't the exact question she wanted to ask. It was more about that night she had rested beside Jennifer and how the older woman had told her how it had felt lonely without Drake. Ramona was confused of course but the alchemist back at the Barrows manor knew enough to explain the birds and the bees so to speak. Ramona knew she wasn't ready and wanted to let Kyrad know that, but how does one bring up that subject without looking like they were rushing into it? It was true, Ramona wanted Kyrad to make her his, but not now.

She realized she had drifted off in her question and looked even more embarrassed. What if either of them died on New Years though? Would they regret it? Just the thought of it gave Ramona a headache and that was without accounting for her colder than normal physique.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Kyrad was waiting for Ramona to finish her thought, but she seemed to have drifted off. "Between the two dreamworlds I just went through, I'm not physically tired. A good bout of crafting should help me get my head on straight."

He smiled. He was happy; happier than he'd been in a long time. But he was emotionally strained. "If you like, you can sleep in my room. I'll be back before dawn." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry," he said. "This isn't the end."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

"Mm. I don't have much to bring so..." Ramona nodded slowly and she leaned up on her tip toes to kiss his cheek. "Don't work too hard. I'm sure the guild will be meeting tomorrow for plans or something for New Years."

With a smile, Ramona turned to go back to the inn. She walked up the stairs two at a time and with Mina's help, found Kyrad's room again. Walking in, she looked around noticing Kyrad hadn't really brought much with him to Veros. Her mind racing, she was about to try and maybe do a little cleaning but Mina had already saw to it. She paced around a little, wondering what she could do to make him happy to return back here.

"I don't have any materials for sewing anything else...I'd make porkchops in the morning if I could but, won't the food be rationed now that the vampires and dragons will be attacking?" Ramona sat down on the bed, finding it surprisingly comfy. The weird thing about it was that it didn't really smell like Kyrad. It occurred to her just now that with Kyrad's unusual insomnia that this bed was for everything but its primary function.

"Maybe I'll practice controlling it." Ramona nodded as she left the room to come back with a pitcher of water and a glass. For a better part of the night, Ramona took it upon herself to try and not freeze the water as she held onto it. She would hold the glass of water in her hand which would normally freeze gradually and see how long she can make it not freeze. Ramona figured she'd start at the extremities and then work her way up to her core body.

When she exhausted from that (and been able to withstand freezing for a good solid minute after four hours of practice), she fetched a book and lit a candle before curling up in the bed. Her eyes scanned the seafaring book and as she drifted off to sleep, Ramona was filled with a longing to go sailing.

Quest/ORP currently on: