Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hail Mary
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 am 
Site Admin

There are things you can expect at a tavern at 3 AM. The best you can hope for is a traumatized adventurer who's need to forget outweighs his need to bathe or rest. You're more likely to encounter those who only come out at night; for business or pleasure, by choice or otherwise. So when the door opened to reveal a refined young lady wearing a long black cloak, a white coif, and a slim, silver cross, it was understandable that most of the occupants stopped to stare.

Despite the attention, the girl remained composed. She quickly scanned the room, ignoring the looks she got from some of the seedier patrons, and settled her gaze on a white-haired man at the bar. Taking a deep breath, she quietly approached, never taking her eyes off the back of his head, as if afraid he might disappear. She stopped a few paces behind him, took another breath, but stopped when the stool next to the man slid out to meet her. She tilted her head to the side, sighing, and reluctantly took a seat next to him.

Now that she was next to him, she could see his beverage of choice was coffee. The man was currently ignoring his scalding beverage, instead working on his plate of eggs, chewing each bite slowly and thoroughly. The girl was receiving as much attention as the drink, so they sat in silence for a minute before she attempted to talk again.

"Little early for breakfast," she commented.

The man opened his mouth, but only to put more eggs into it.

"I just arrived in town. Asked about you at the inn, they said I could find you here."

Again, no response. She suspected her audience would only last until his coffee was gone, but luckily it was still too hot to drink. Still, she'd have to make her point soon. "It's...good to see you again."

"You're still a terrible liar," he replied. At least she'd gotten a reaction from him.

"Well, you seem to be doing well here. Not hiding in corners anymore," she added. Get to the point, she chided herself.

"No one around here I feel the need to avoid," he replied. His tone implied "until now."

"I noticed a church on the way in, do you...?"

"No." He reached out and grabbed the scalding beverage. At his touch, the steam vanished. He took a sip, not putting the cup down.

"You...you don't think that, with your condition..."

CLANG Empty cup, empty plate. Audience over. "If you ever feel like catching up again," he said as he rose.

"Kyrad, wait," she called as she grabbed his arm. He looked down at her hand, and she immediately regretted her action. She'd avoided touching him since she'd learned the truth, and almost seemed surprised the contact didn't burn. Even more surprising, Kyrad sat back down and motioned for another cup of coffee.

"Get to the point, Grace. You didn't come all this way to check on my piety."

Grace looked down and realized she'd instinctively grabbed her necklace, as if the cross could cleanse where she'd touched Kyrad. She quickly let go, folding her hands in front of her. She hoped he hadn't noticed, but that was unlikely. She'd forgotten what it was like to be around him. He had a strange way of noticing everything, not just spatially like knowing she was behind him, but she could never hide anything from him. She either had to be very direct or not even bother.

"I'm here about a job."

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: Hail Mary
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 am 
Site Admin

"What does the church want with me?" Kyrad asked. He didn't particularly care; anything Grace wanted him to do would be as self-righteous as it was pointless. It'd been like that as long as he could remember, and he'd learned early that favors for Grace were a recipe for disaster. Not that it mattered. Grace had devoted herself to the church very young, and it wasn't long before the clergy explained that someone with Kyrad's history was not someone to associate with. If she was seeking out his help now, it had to be big.

"Why do you assume the church sent me?" Grace asked. She realized it was stupid as soon as she said it, and the look Kyrad gave her reinforced that fact. "What I mean is, nobody sent me to do this. This is my choice."

"If you weren't such a bad liar, I'd be suspicious." Kyrad replied. "So this job is for the "greater good," will heavily rely on my abilities, and you couldn't convince any of your superiors to sanction it..."

"Are you going to let me talk, or not?" Grace snapped. He was right, on all counts, but she'd rehearsed her explanation a thousand times, and now she was loosing her footing at every turn. It all came back to Kyrad knowing her better than she knew him, and for someone who claimed altruism, that was hard to swallow.

"Not at all. But the sun's coming up soon, and I'd like to finish this conversation before it sets again." His lip curled slightly as he took another drink.

At least he's amused, she thought. Should keep him from getting up to leave again. "Father Huron though I was crazy, but I know this is the right thing to do. I...We...can help so many people. And it does play to your strengths." She paused. "There is a darkness brewing that needs to be fought. Everyone else was content to pray for salvation, but I'm sure we can do more. The guild here...together, we could work to arm it's members against the darkness."

Kyrad chuckled. "You know, for a second there, it sounded like you wanted to join the guild."

Grace was shocked. "Join the guild? That would be unbelievably dangerous, not to mention monumentally stu... you're a guild member,aren't you?"

Kyrad closed his eyes and tapped his nose. "What did you think I was doing here?"

"I...didn't really have a lot of time to consider..." Grace wrung her hands.

"Didn't have a lot of time to consider on the trip from London?" Kyrad smiled. "I wasn't your first choice, was I?"

Grace sighed. "I visited your father to convince him, but he's content to make simple arms and armor. This venture is about powerful and unique items that could turn the tide of the battle. He told me that the blades he made you were his magnum opus, and now he's content with making nothing more complex than a plated greave."

"So how far down the list was I?" Kyrad asked.

"Your father suggested I seek you out. He said you'd be much better suited for the job. Said you'd not only be able to create magical items, but that you'd probably already improved upon his designs." Grace glanced down at Kyrad's bracers, noting the intricate design.

"But as you can see, I am building items, and I'm using them to fight. So where exactly do you fit into this equation?"

Grace straightened in her stool. "I will help you arm as many people as possible. I'll go to people to find out what they need, and you can build it. Together we can cover more ground."

It was Kyrad's turn to sigh. "I only see 3 problems with your plan. One: you don't understand how magical items are made, so you can't even give an indication of what service you could provide to an individual."

"But I..."

"Two: you want to run a charity, but something like this will require a constant influx of capital. It has to be run by a business if you want to make any real difference. Profit from one sale covers expenses for the next, so you only need upfront payments or start-up capital once." Kyrad continued.

"We could..."

"And finally," Kyrad interrupted, "you would make a terrible merchant."

Post subject: Re: Hail Mary
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Grace was shocked. She'd known this wouldn't be simple, but she was sure it was a matter of patience. She'd have to convince Kyrad to do the right thing, to see things her way, and to put his selfishness aside. That she was the weak link, that the venture would fail on her merits alone, had never occurred to her. It was a sobering thought, and she didn't know how to progress.

The sound of the door shutting was what finally jarred Grace back to reality. She blinked and looked around, and realized that Kyrad had left. Now she was angry.

"Hey!" She called as she spotted Kyrad on his way back to the inn. "Wait just a minute."

Kyrad sighed and stopped, waiting for Grace to catch up. He didn't turn to face her.

"Now you listen to my list. One: I may not understand magic, but I do understand technology. I've studied your father's designs for years, and I've got a few ideas of my own. Two: If you have any real skill, the profit from one sale should fund the materials for several projects, so money shouldn't be a problem unless you make it one. And finally," she straightened herself and puffed up with indignation, "I'd make a much better merchant than you would."

Grace basked in the moment, smiling with satisfaction. She'd wanted to tell Kyrad off for years, and it felt even better than she'd imagined.

"Prove it."

Again, Grace was snapped violently back to reality. "Ex...excuse me?"

"Prove it. Prove you can run this business. You land one client, get even one patron to agree to a design, and I'll build it. I'll get you a list of notes, things I could possibly manage, and you use that to garner one item proposal."

"So we're in business together?" Grace asked hopefully.

"I'm pretty sure you'll fail, I'm not gonna lie." Kyrad said as he began walking again. "But I'll commit to a trial run, in case I'm wrong." As he disappeared into the night, he raised his hand goodbye and called, "So prove me wrong!"