Castlevania: Disharmony

An Online RPG
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Breakfast Beatdown
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:10 am 
Site Admin

"Isn't this?" Tobias asked as the van pulled down the long driveway.

"Yup," Derrick confirmed. He'd suspected their destination a while back, but decided not to say anything. Mostly because he was hoping he was wrong.

"So we're getting breakfast at your Aunt Reyna's house?" Tobias asked Ramona.

"I guarantee they make the best omelettes," Birch said confidently. He pulled the vehicle to the side as the road split and looped around a large fountain, coming to a halt at the front door of the mansion.

A thin, well dressed butler was waiting at the door for them. "Mistress Reyna is just sitting down to breakfast in the main dining room," he told them as they approached.

"And Oliver?" Birch asked.

"Mister Oliver is making his way there as well," the butler confirmed.

"Someone slept in," Derrick mused, though he coughed and straightened his posture as the butler gave him a look.

"Shall I announce you, sir?" the man asked, turning his attention back to Birch.

"I think it'll be more fun if you don't," Birch replied, leading the way into the house.

The entry parlor was just as big and intimidating at Derrick remembered. He much preferred Birch's house, which was still big but somehow inviting. He knew that house had been designed by Birch himself; he wondered for a moment who had designed this one.

"Good morning," Birch called loudly as he opened the doors to the dining room. Whether Reyna had been expecting them or was simply practiced at hiding her surprise was anyone's guess. She was sitting at the head of the table, dressed in a blue blouse and matching skirt with a darker blue sash tied around her waist as a belt. In addition to her toast and oatmeal, she seemed to have several documents spread out before her. Her eating utensils were accompanied by writing utensils.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" Reyna asked, rising from her chair and pressing her skirt. Derrick was certain she was annoyed to see them, but she was much better at hiding it than the butler was.

"Good morning to you too," Birch replied, strolling over to hug his sister. He gave her an extra squeeze that ruffled her slightly, though she quickly regained composure again. "I thought we'd stop by for breakfast."

"Breakfast and...?" Reyna prompted.

"Oh, you know I can't talk business on an empty stomach," Birch replied. "Not like you, anyway," he added, indicating the documents Reyna was working on.

Derrick knew something was up. He'd only seen Birch and Reyna interact a few times, and it had never been this friendly. Which told him Birch was probably going to ask his sister for a big favor before they left.

"Of course," Reyna replied. "Please, have a seat," she said, indicating the lines of empty chairs lining the table. She retrieved a small bell from the table and gave it a little ring, causing a maid to appear from one of the side doors. "Order anything you want," she added.

Birch took a seat just to Reyna left. "Hello Marissa," he said to the maid, who smiled and blushed a little. She looked old enough to have been working there longer than Birch was alive. "I'll have the usual," he told her.

Name: Grace Meredith

Naem: Enzo Greyson

Post subject: Re: Breakfast Beatdown
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Ramona walked over to Reyna and tried to improve the mood by giving her aunt a hug. "It's so good to see you, Aunt Reyna!" She gushed. Ramona glanced over to Marisa and smiled widely. "The usual for me too! Fruit crepe and some coffee please!"

Ramona gestured to the others. Sarah swallowed nervously and sat down stiffly. "E-Eggs benedict if you can."

Quest/ORP on: Silver Wings

Character Name: Alice Springward Unlucky Witch
Sigil: Cherubim, Nariad
Runes: Destrok, Sentak, Vitale, defkon
Quest/ORP currently on: Mansion of the Sun

Name: Van Cheerful Thief
Sigi: Vienta
Runes: Destrok Morpho
Quest/ORP currently on:

Name: Ramona Servant of Y'Leigha
Quest/ORP on: Free the Children

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Reyna fixed Ramona with her analyzing gaze before turning it to Birch himself. It was clear to her that something was up.

"Of course," Marisa told Sarah, giving her a wink.

"Er, I guess Waffles," Tobias said, taking a seat at the table. Marisa smiled at him encouragingly. "A-a stack of waffles with butter and syrup. And sliced bananas," he added quickly.

"Bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs on a biscuit with a splash of hot sauce," Derrick said confidently.

"And a variety of drinks, please," Birch added as the maid disappeared into the kitchen.

"So while we wait," Reyna said, setting her papers aside, "would you at least tell me if I should clear my schedule?"

"The children would appreciate if you could," Birch replied.

"Just them?" Reyna asked, raising an eyebrow?

"The maids probably would as well," Birch replied. "Otherwise they'll be unsupervised and could get into all sorts of trouble."

Before Reyna could respond, Marisa reappeared with several pitchers of drinks. Milk, water, and several different kinds of juice were laid out on the table in front of them.

Birch folded his hands together in front of his face. "I want you to start teaching them how to use weapons," he said.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:11 am 
Site Admin

Sarah had poured a glass of juice and was in the midst of taking a sip when Birch asked about the training. She nearly spat out the contents. "Wh-What?" She stuttered.

Ramona bit her lip. "Geez, we couldn't just have a normal breakfast could we?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 am 
Site Admin

It was impossible to tell if Reyna was surprised by this request.

"You're facing an opponent who can disable powers," she stated. "I suppose this is one way of dealing with that."

"So you'll teach them?" Birch asked.

"Today only," Reyna replied. "After breakfast."

Birch gave a small smile, like he was having a private joke that no one else understood. Derrick was just about to call him out on it when the kitchen doors opened.

"That's not possible," Tobias whispered to himself. He wasn't the best at math, but he knew how long it took to whip up a breakfast this extravagant and it was certainly longer than they'd even been here. He wondered what kind of power their cook had.

Derrick was having similar thoughts. His biscuit was flaky and warm as if it had just been freshly baked. Sarah's eggs were piping hot and the sauce was perfectly drizzled to accentuate flavor without drowning the dish. Ramona's crepes were overflowing with fruit and her freshly pressed coffee smelled exotic. Birch's omelette had spinach, feta cheese, and bits of lamb inside and was bigger than any omelette had a right to be.

As he stared in awe, Marisa placed three plates of waffle towers in front of Tobias. Each was interlaced with bananas on each layer and had syrup drizzling down the sides.

"Thank you, Marisa," Birch said, picking up his fork and knife.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Ramona hungrily dug into her breakfast. Sarah glanced at the others, wondering if they too were making guesses as to how it worked.

"Um...Professor Birch...why are we here to learn weapon training? Isn't there...someone more capable?" She immediately regretted asking.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:24 am 
Site Admin

"If you were ready for a master level course, then yes," Reyna replied as she sorted through her papers. "But for a beginner level course, I suppose I am the best instructor in close proximity to your other business." She gave Birch a knowing look.

Marissa came out one more time, now carrying a plate of toast and some very runny eggs. She set it down at the empty seat to Reyna's right just as the door to the entryway opened.

"I see we have company," Oliver noted as he made his way around the table. While Reyna was already dressed, he was wearing a pair of green silk pajamas with his initials embroidered on the chest. "Is everyone enjoying their food?" he asked politely.

"It's very good," Derrick told him before finishing his last three bites of his sandwich. Tobias gave a thumbs up between mouthfuls of waffle.

"I hope you've got some free time this morning, dear," Reyna said to her husband as he dunked the first piece of toast into the yellow liquid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 am 
Site Admin

Seeing Oliver reminded Ramona of another reason why they were there. She swallowed her last bite of crepe hard.

"Dad...Are you talking to Uncle Oliver about the...conversation last night?" She asked.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am 
Site Admin

"What conversation?" Reyna asked calmly.

"An unexpected legal matter has come up," Birch replied. "Which is why I need to talk to my lawyer."

"And you don't think I need to be included on the details?" Reyna asked. She was doing very well at keeping the anger out of her voice.

"Not until we have a plan," Birch replied. "Honestly, if I wanted to keep this a secret from you I would find another lawyer."

"Simon," Oliver interrupted. "You know that as your lawyer all our discussions are confidential..." He froze under the twin gazes of Birch and Reyna. "The food is especially good this morning," he said, trying to change the subject.

"Discuss your matters and meet us in the armory," Reyna said, getting up from the table. "Come along, students."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:40 am 
Site Admin

Ramona got up and followed Reyna, giving her father a polite kiss on the cheek.

Sarah lingered behind with Tobias, looking a bit more nervous. She fiddled with her hands. "How do you think this is gonna go?" She asked him quietly.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Tobias looked up at Birch, who seemed completely calm as he drained a glass of orange juice in one gulp, then to Oliver who was doing his best to hide a smirk as he ate his toast. He had a feeling Reyna was going to be as intense as her brother but not nearly as kind.

"I think we're going to learn a lot," he finally said to Sarah, trying his best to look confident. He wiped his mouth and stood up. "Let's go."

-----

The armory was as big and menacing as Ramona remembered. The walls were lined with all sorts of weapons. There were training dummies scattered around the room, each brand new and completely intact. Was it possible for training dummies to look afraid?

"Do all of these weapons have diamonds in them?" Derrick asked, inspecting the tip of a rapier. Indeed, the tip was a hard, black rock that could have been industrial diamond.

The weapon jumped from Derrick's grip and soared across the room to land in Reyna's outstretched hand. She gave the blade a few quick slashes to test its weight and balance. "Yes," she said. "Choose a weapon."

Derrick turned and started walking towards the far end of the room, which was lined with bows, crossbows, throwing knives, and other long range weapons. Just as he was about to pass by Reyna, she held up her sword to block his path. "You and Miss Blanche will be training with melee weapons this morning," she said. "Ramona and Mister Kane will be using ranged."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:43 am 
Site Admin

"Melee weapons?" Sarah looked surprised and she turned to Ramona. "Do you have any idea of what we should use?"

Ramona glanced over at the weapons. She narrowed her eyes and shrugged. "I couldn't begin to guess. It depends if you want to strike fast, slash fast or hit slow and hard I guess?"

Sarah looked back to the rack of weapons. She picked out what looked like a mace. It felt good in her hands.

Meanwhile, Ramona eyed the wall of ranged weapons. She'd always wanted to learn how to use one of those. Gently, she took down a crossbow.

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:01 am 
Site Admin

Derrick walked by Sarah and scratched his chin. Finally, he grabbed a pair of sharp-looking hand axes. Technically, he could throw them if the situation demanded it, but they'd be more useful in melee range.

Tobias was having a harder time deciding. There was a large compound bow on the wall which looked like it would take some muscle to draw back. But he knew that archery took patience and skill that he didn't really have. A little further down the wall was a sling, which he could only identify because of the nameplate attached to the wall underneath. He almost mistook it for a leather sock, and it was only the back of black rocks next to it that made him look twice. He looked between the two options and scratched his head.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:29 am 
Site Admin

"I've never seen anyone use a sling before in combat," Ramona said quietly. "But it might be a good fast weapon to use. It could also maybe be used to throw items across long distances too? At the very least, it's practical?"

Quest/ORP currently on:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Derrick frowned at the ranged weapon choices. "Don't you have anything with a little more kick?" he asked. "Tobias can handle it."

Reyna gave him one of her cold stares. "This is only a small sampling of our collection. If he needs something more...interesting, we'll have to have ranged training in another room."

Tobias looked down slightly, worried he was causing too much of a fuss.

"But this will work just fine for melee, right?" Derrick replied, seemingly undeterred despite Reyna attitude. "So what do we do?"

"Well," Reyna said, a hint of a smile crawling across her face. "I want you and Miss Blanche to try and kill each other."

"You what?" Tobias asked, momentarily forgetting his sheepishness.

"I assure you I can stop any attack you might launch with these weapons," Reyna stated. "And if you look closely, all the edges are carefully crafted so they only appear sharp at a distance. Have you ever tried to disembowel someone with a blunted axe? It takes forever."

Tobias couldn't tell if she was joking.